Updates to Phase IV Learning Model
On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, the Rochester Public School Board voted to approve a change in both the elementary and secondary learning models. More information either has or will be forthcoming from your school(s).
PreK and Elementary Learning Model
- Grades PreK - grade 5 to continue the hybrid model through the month of February and to return to full in-person learning, five days a week, beginning March 1.
- Beginning on March 1, K - grade 5 students will resume their adjust school start times of 9:10/9:15 AM and dismissal time of 3:05 PM to meet the expectations of Governor Walz’s Executive Order 20.95.
- SACC (School Age Child Care) will be open at 3:05 PM for families who have already pre-registered for SACC.
- There will be no school for students on Wednesday, February 24 because this will be a Model Change Planning Day for teachers.
- Students that have chosen to remain in Distance Learning will continue with Distance Learning for the remainder of the school year.
Secondary Learning Model
- Middle and High School students will return to in-person learning beginning on April 5, which is the first day of the fourth quarter.
- Students will resume their pre-pandemic start times of 7:40 AM and dismissal time of 2:30 PM for Middle School and 3:03 PM for High School.
- Students in grades 6 and 9 will participate in an in-person orientation day prior to April 5.
- Individual schools will communicate schedule information with their students/families.
- There will be no school for students on March 17, March 24, and March 25 because these will be a Model Change Planning Day for teaching staff, pending Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) approval.
- The School Board will review district, local, and state data on March 16 at their School Board Meeting. If the data has significantly changed, indicating an increase in transmission, the Board may make adjustments to the start day of the learning model.
- Students will have the opportunity to remain in Distance Learning. Information will come directly from your school.
Last week of the Quarter Schedule for Secondary Students:
- Monday, March 22: Regular instruction day (Distance Learning Plus Supports) for students
- Tuesday, March 23: Last day of the quarter AND a transition day for 6th and 9th grade students (more information will be coming from your school)
- Wednesday, March 24: No school for students. Teacher planning day, pending MDE approval.
- Thursday, March 25: No school for students. Teacher planning day, pending MDE approval.
- Friday, March 26: No school for students. District workday for grading.
Review the entire learning model plan approved on January 5, 2020.
Looking for updates on COVID procedures, FAQs, and resources? Check out our COVID communication hub.
Calendars for 2020-2021
School calendars, including ABC/special area calendars, have been updated to reflect elementary, middle, and high school schedules in this current learning model. If the learning model changes, these calendars may be updated.
Masks at RPS
Starting Saturday, July 25, Rochester Public Schools staff, students (age five and up), and visitors entering any RPS facility are required to wear face coverings, unless an exemption applies.
Frequently Asked Questions
We know you may have questions, so we've compiled some of our most common questions and answers.