Updates to Phase IV Learning Model
On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, the Rochester Public School Board voted to approve a change in both the elementary and secondary learning models. More information either has or will be forthcoming from your school(s).
PreK and Elementary Learning Model
- Grades PreK - grade 5 to continue the hybrid model through the month of February and to return to full in-person learning, five days a week, beginning March 1.
- Beginning on March 1, K - grade 5 students will resume their adjust school start times of 9:10/9:15 AM and dismissal time of 3:05 PM to meet the expectations of Governor Walz’s Executive Order 20.95.
- SACC (School Age Child Care) will be open at 3:05 PM for families who have already pre-registered for SACC.
- There will be no school for students on Wednesday, February 24 because this will be a Model Change Planning Day for teachers.
- Students that have chosen to remain in Distance Learning will continue with Distance Learning for the remainder of the school year.
Secondary Learning Model
- Middle and High School students will return to in-person learning beginning on April 5, which is the first day of the fourth quarter. Students will attend all-day, 5 days a week.
- There will be an early dismissal from the regular pre-pandemic times to accommodate the Governor’s Executive Order, allowing for 30 minutes a day of planning for teachers. Students will begin school during their pre-pandemic start times. Schools will be sharing more information regarding this.
- Our 6th and 9th grade students will be participating in welcoming activities since this will be their first time in school.
- Individual schools will communicate schedule information with their students/families.
- Mitigation and safety measures will be in place - more details will be communicated to parents.
- There will be no school for students on March 17, March 24, and March 25 because these will be a Model Change Planning Day for teaching staff.
- Students will have the opportunity to remain in Distance Learning. Information will come directly from your school.
More extensive information will be shared with parents and staff before Spring Break.
For immediate questions, families should contact their supervisor and parents are reminded to contact their principals.
Last week of the Quarter Schedule for Secondary Students:
- Monday, March 22: Regular instruction day (Distance Learning Plus Supports) for students
- Tuesday, March 23: Last day of the quarter AND a transition day for 6th and 9th grade students (more information will be coming from your school)
- Wednesday, March 24: No school for students. Teacher planning day, pending MDE approval.
- Thursday, March 25: No school for students. Teacher planning day, pending MDE approval.
- Friday, March 26: No school for students. District workday for grading.
Review the entire learning model plan approved on January 5, 2020.
Looking for updates on COVID procedures, FAQs, and resources? Check out our COVID communication hub.
Calendars for 2020-2021
School calendars, including ABC/special area calendars, have been updated to reflect elementary, middle, and high school schedules in this current learning model. If the learning model changes, these calendars may be updated.
Masks at RPS
Starting Saturday, July 25, Rochester Public Schools staff, students (age five and up), and visitors entering any RPS facility are required to wear face coverings, unless an exemption applies.
Frequently Asked Questions
We know you may have questions, so we've compiled some of our most common questions and answers.