Steps to Renew
1. Create an account on the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board licensing PELSB website.
2. Locate your official license. You will need the issuance date located in the upper right hand corner to enter into your PDExpress Transcript in order to set the date range. If you cannot find your license, login to your PELSB account. If you are employed by the Rochester School District and have a Skyward profile, your license information is located in the Certification section.
3. Review your PDExpress transcript(s). Calculate your hours starting from the issuance date located on your current official license to determine how many clock hours you have. Please set your date range.
Do you have 75 (Tier 3) or 125 (Tier 4) or more clock hours in the seven subject headings below?
- English Language Learners (ELL): One (1) credit minimum
- Mental Health/Illness: One (1) credit minimum
- Suicide Prevention: One (1) credit minimum
- Positive Behavior Intervention Strategies (PBIS): One (1) credit minimum
- Reading: Four (4) credits minimum.
- Cultural Competency, for all license renewals starting in 2020: One (1) credit minimum
- Modification, Accommodation, Adaptation of Curriculum, Materials and Strategies: One (1) credit minimum
Do your clock hours fall under two or more of the following categories?
- Category A: College Courses
- Category B: Educational Workshops, Online classes, Conferences, etc.
- Category C: In-District Staff Development Activities and Workshops
- Category D: Curriculum Development
- Category E: Peer Coaching/Mentorship
- Category F: Professional Service
- Category G: Leadership Experiences
- Category H: Diverse Educational Settings
- Category I: Pre-approved Travel or Work Experience
- Category L: 30 Deaf Culture/ASL Hours
- Category 3: National Organization Certifications
4. When you have determined that your PDExpress Transcript(s) reflects ALL the Subject Headings and two Activity Categories as listed above, email a PDF copy of the transcript to email@example.com. Please include a short message, i.e. "I have reviewed my PDExpress transcript and am ready to renew my license."
5. You will receive a confirmation email when the clock hours have been entered into your PELSB profile. The email response will be either -"You are ready to renew your license" or "You are missing a requirement".
6. Login to your PELSB profile to renew the license. Remember that you will need to have your serial number listed on your official license and a credit card ready to complete the process.
7. When the renewal process is completed, PELSB will email you. You are required to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating you have renewed the license. Your Skyward profile will be updated if applicable.
8. Last step; log into your PDExpress and change your date range to your new renewal and expiration date.