Meghan Kriesel highlight

May is National Speech-Language-Hearing Month, and we want to highlight some of our speech-language pathologists (SLPs). Meet Meghan Kriesel, M.S. CCC-SLP, who works at Overland Elementary School. Meghan has worked at RPS for seven years.

What do you do as an SLP?

My position as a Speech-Language Pathologist entails working with students on all things related to communication. I work with students who have trouble with articulation of speech sounds, receptive and expressive language disorders, and fluency disorders (stuttering). I also select, trial, and teach students who are mainly non-speaking to use AAC (Augmentative and Alternative Communication) devices to communicate.

What made you choose this career path?

I choose this career path because I love working with children and want to make a difference. Communication is such an important part of everyone’s lives, and to help children with those skills is very rewarding.

Meghan working with a studentWhat’s your favorite part about your job?

So many things are my favorite! I love seeing the excitement within my students when they reach their goals. I also love seeing students with complex communication needs start using their AAC devices to communicate their wants and needs. Another favorite is just getting to know and connecting with my students. They all have such amazing personalities! Also, shoutout to the staff at Overland! They are amazing to work with!

What’s the most difficult part about your job?

The most challenging part of my job is seeing students become frustrated when they experience a communication breakdown. However, these moments help me to better support them and allow for great opportunities for them to practice the communication strategies they have learned during their speech therapy sessions!

What words of advice do you have for future SLPs?

Being a Speech-Language Pathologist is a very rewarding career. Graduate school can be stressful and challenging, but stick with it because it will all be worth it!

Anything else you want to share about your profession?

Working as a Speech-Language Pathologist requires an undergraduate degree, a master’s degree, and 400 clinical hours. You also must pass a national board exam and complete a supervised 36-week clinical fellowship. There are many different settings Speech-Language Pathologists can work in including private practice, outpatient clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, and schools.

Meghan working with two students