At Rochester Public Schools, the right of all members of the public to access information is integral to our function as a public school district. Therefore, the Rochester Public School District is committed to making its website accessible to everyone to the greatest extent possible.
Some users with or without disabilities may not be able to see, hear or process some information in specific formats; may have difficulty reading or understanding text; or may not be able to use a keyboard or a mouse. Rochester Public Schools has designed its website to ensure that the site and its content are useful to and accessible by all users.
The Rochester Public School District is required by state and federal law to provide equal access to information maintained by our district, by making the information available to individuals with disabilities in a format that allows them to access the information whenever possible. The district is also required to comply with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 level AA and Section 508 Subpart B Electronic and Information Technology standards. Rochester Public Schools has developed its website in accordance with these standards.
Most of the information on the Rochester Public Schools websites are fully accessible and complies with these standards. If information on an Rochester Public Schools web page or document is not in an accessible format, we will provide the information in an alternative format upon request.
The Rochester Public School District will continue to review and update its website to ensure compliance with current and future standards. It is committed to providing strong digital government services and information to all users.
Applicable Laws and Standards:
- Minnesota Human Rights Act, Minnesota Statutes § 363A.42
- State of Minnesota Accessibility Standard
- Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
- Minnesota Statutes §16E.03, subd. 9
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 level AA
- Section 508 Electronic and Information Technology Standards
If for any reason you cannot access any of the material on our websites, please contact us at email@example.com
Links to External Publications and Websites:
The Rochester Public School District websites may contain links to non-RPS publications and web pages on external websites. Rochester Public Schools has no control over content or accessibility at these non-RPS publications and external websites. Links are provided as a service to our audience, in an effort to provide additional information where applicable. The Rochester Public School District is not responsible to make this external information accessible.
The Rochester Public School District websites have incorporated features intended to make the experience of interacting with our Website positive and productive for all of our users. Some of the accessibility features incorporated into the Rochester Public School District websites include:
- Common Look and Feel with a Simple Design. Most pages on the Rochester Public School District websites have a similar layout, making site navigation easier. Overall, the site is primarily text-based and has a simple, straightforward design.
- Accessible Images. Images that are included on the Rochester Public School District websites contain alternative text, which assistive technologies can read to the user to provide greater access to the information presented visually.
- Adjustable Text Size. Text size can be increased with the web browser’s text size adjustment feature. For more information about text size adjustments within a specific browser type and version, site visitors should consult their browser documentation.
- Tags. Consistent with the website standards that RPS adheres to, the Rochester Public School District websites uses correct HTML markup – known as tags – to designate web page elements. These tags automatically allow assistive technology users to differentiate features such as page headings and subheadings. With correct HTML markup, a site visitor using a screen reader will have the designation read to them, giving the user a better sense of how the information is organized and presented.
- Style Sheets. Cascading style sheets are used throughout the site for layout, design and style. This allows the Rochester Public School District websites to be displayed in a readable fashion on different browser-enable devices.
- Search Engine. The Rochester Public School District websites features a search engine that provides relevant and easy-to-use search results. The search engine allows quick navigation to desired content.
- Use of Tables. The Rochester Public School District websites avoids the use of tables as a means of displaying information. However, when tables need to be used, they employ HTML markup to differentiate table headings from data and to associate data with the appropriate table headings.
- Video Captions and Text Transcripts. All video files on the Rochester Public School District websites either include embedded captions or, closed captioning. For videos with embedded captioning, captions are open by default.
- Document Formats. Most documents on the Rochester Public School District websites are posted in accessible Adobe® Acrobat® portable document format (pdf), which can be accessed by users via screen readers and other accessibility tools. To view pdf documents, users must have Adobe Acrobat Reader™ version 4.0 or higher. To download or get help using Acrobat Reader, which is available free of charge, users must visit the Adobe Systems website.